Thursday, December 12, 2013

Throwback Thursday - Pagers

It's 1995...do you know where your pager is?

You guys remember these things? I was so excited when I finally saved up enough for one.  I really can't remember how much I paid but I'm thinking it was around $80. It was teal and the awesomest thing I'd ever own.  It was instant cool.  Everyone who was anyone had one.
It was heavy and bulky and I paid I think $30 a month for the privilege of carting it around. And when you got a page, what then?  Look around for a pay phone and hope that by the time you find one the person who paged you was still waiting around for you to call. But!  What about when you got a page followed by 911??  Panic!! Find a pay phone fast! And you don't have any quarters!! What then??

Seriously, what was up with that? And the codes we came up with! Why didn't everyone from that time graduate and go into cryptology?  And we never kept them on vibrate.  When you got a page, you wanted EVERYONE to know. Cuz you were cool, that's why.  Also they were the cause of the first ever "electronic devices" rule at my school - no pagers were to be on or visible during school hours. And in the tiny town I grew up in, I had no idea they were cool because drug dealers used them...they were just a shiny new things that we had to have.  I wish I still did have it only because I really wanna compare the weight to my iPhone!

No comments:

Post a Comment